Gimbal (optical) vs Software (Digital) Image Stabilization
Gimbal vs Software Image Stabilization?
Many ask if using software image stabilization is similar to using a real gimbal stabilizer. In this article, we are going to examine the two options and see which ones are the best one. Shooting a steady and stabilized image is the key to succeeding in videography, still very few get this correct.
- 【One-piece Forming, Stronger stabilizer】 Hohem iSteady Pro does not need to be assembled and formed in one, uses imported European materials, Stability is better than other brand stabilizers on the market. More Smoothly, Low Power Consumption, Bigger Motor Torque, Higher Anti-Shake Performance.
- 【Two-way Charging, 12hrs Runtime】Hohem iSteady Pro can run for 12 hours in a row. The 4000mah built-in battery indicator tells you how much power is left. The stabilizer can be charged by portable power source and the camera can be charged by the stabilizer via USB port.
- 【Time Lapse Expert】Vlogging photography shooting modes can be manually set up on APP, creating a special trail time-lapse photography.
- 【Splash Proof And Beveled Angle Design】IPX4 water splash proof, resistant to water splashes from any direction, and 30°beveled angle design enables unobstructed shooting and framing. The pan motor is able to rotate a complete 360°to make incredible inception effect.
- 【Camera Charging】Hohem iSteady Pro 2 can run for 12 hours in a row. The 4000mAh built-in battery indicator tells you how much power is left. The stabilizer configured with Micro USB/Type C for action camera which also allows to supply power to other devices as a power bank.
- 【Trigger Button/Sport Mode, Quick Transition】Updated sports mode enables the motor to increase the power and react by the corresponding movement quickly, it's fast following speed allow to capture the best movement and creat transition effects without any post production.
- 【Newly developed 3D "inception" Mode】proudly present the updated Hohem gimbal stabilizer. This stabilizer features a newly developed "inception" Mode that would able to vertically rotate your phone 360° spontaneously when filming, giving you the master-like video-making experience. It is the all-in-one tool for storytellers like you.
- 【Updated sports mode & perfect balance】updated sports mode allows you to shoot incredibly smooth shots even while going to extremes like running up & down stairs, cycling outdoors or traveling over rugged terrain. High performance motor realizes axis overlap & low angle shoot like a breeze. 3 axie's Variable speed adaptation is extremely sensitive to hand movements. With this design, Hohem Gimble stabilizer transforms hard-to-watch, shaky footage into hypnotically smooth, professional footage.
- 【You can also be a professional director】from fast moving action, like sports, to vlogs and interviews, to documentaries and independent features, the hohem's design sophistication and convertibility make it a unique production tool. Aside from modes mentioned above, this tool features the joystick, all following/all lock/pan following/pan & tilt following modes & 2 ¼ Screw hole for accessories such as a tripod or a phone holder.
- Capture amazingly smooth shake-free video
- Compatible with GoPro body mounts
- Includes Karma Harness for HERO6 Black/HERO5 Black , HERO7 Black
Using a gimbal to stabilize video
Shooting with a gimbal will definitely help you stabilize your image. Gimbals help in capturing an amazing image. Using a gimbal, however, is not as easy as it looks like! You can also use gopro wearable gimbal accessories for better image stabilization.
What you need to have in mind
- Gimbals offer a great free motion
- Gimbals are great for Stabilizing Image without quality loss
- They use a 3-axis system which helps sustain the camera in a stable position
- Gimbals are easy to learn to use
- Great Portability
- Gimbals still have limitations
- You need to learn to use a gimbal before achieving its full potential
- Gimbals are pricey
Using Software Image Stabilization
Still, digital image stabilization is something that many use. Also, some cameras come in with preinstalled video stabilization options (GoPro Hero 5 and GoPro hero 6). However, professional videographers are not fans of software stabilization. The reason is that when you use a software or a digital method to stabilize your video, you end up loosing on the quality. Therefore, if you are serious about video creation then you will definitely need to avoid using digital image stabilization.
Digital Software Image Stabilization Pros
- An inexpensive method of stabilizing video
- Great for beginners
- You can use almost any video editing software to do this (Adobe Premiere, Final Cuts etc.)
- Camera built-in stabilizers offer even better outcome than software without too much hit on the quality
Digital Software Image Stabilization Cons
- Using Digital stabilization is considered as an amateur thing by many
- When comparing optical and digital stabilization, optical always wins
- You end up losing quality when you are stabilizing using software
These are the main differences between each method. When comparing Optical VS Digital stabilization, optical stabilization always wins. The reasons are obvious. However, if you are a beginner that you just bought your camera and you do not plan on creating public professional content, then we are pretty sure that software stabilization should be more than enough for you!
Bellow, you can see a video by Ruen Dineros comparing No Stabilization VS Software Stabilization VS Gimbal Stabilization:
Last update on 2019-08-24 at 16:20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API