Gimbal (optical) vs Software (Digital) Image Stabilization
Gimbal vs Software Image Stabilization?
Many ask if using software image stabilization is similar to using a real gimbal stabilizer. In this article, we are going to examine the two options and see which ones are the best one. Shooting a steady and stabilized image is the key to succeeding in videography, still very few get this correct.
- 【None of shake】 - The Hohem GoPro gimbal stabilizer was built to film on the go. Respond to every delicate movement without...
- 【Lightweight & portable for your trip】 - made of the newest technology of polymer composites which will be much lighter than...
- 【Easy operate with joystick & one-button re-centered】 - with re-centered button, you can reset the position & angles of your...
- 【Wide Compatibility:】The Hohem iSteady Pro 2 GoPro gimbal stabilizer Compatible with DJI OSMO ACTION ,GoPro Hero 7/2018/ Hero...
- 【SPLASH-PROOF DESIGN: 】With the splash-proof design, This gimbal stabilizer achieves splash-proof and dust-proof performance....
- 【Trigger Button-Sport Mode :】The gimbal stabilizer enables the motor to increase the power and react by the corresponding...
- Lightweight & portable for your trip, None of shake Made of the newest technology of polymer composites which will be much...
- Beveled angle design The 30°angled design on roll motor with longer support arm, making the action camera display obstruction...
- 12hrs Runtime, Chagre for camera Build-in 4000 mash battery provides 12 hours long running time, It allows to supply power to...
- 【Hohem iSteady Pro 2 Action Camera Gimbal Stabilizer, IPX4 Splash-proof Function】 ------ The iSteady Pro 2, is upgraded from...
- 【MUST KNOW】Mount and Balance your GoPro, Osmo Action or Action Cameras on the Gimbal with T-Type Connect screwing up. And for...
- 【Fantasy 3D Inception Mode, Sports Mode】Pro2 gimbal's pan motor is able to rotate a complete 360°, actually it is 600°. The...
Last update on 2019-12-23 at 06:00 / Contains Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Using a gimbal to stabilize video
Shooting with a gimbal will definitely help you stabilize your image. Gimbals help in capturing an amazing image. Using a gimbal, however, is not as easy as it looks like! You can also use gopro wearable gimbal accessories for better image stabilization.
What you need to have in mind
- Gimbals offer a great free motion
- Gimbals are great for Stabilizing Image without quality loss
- They use a 3-axis system which helps sustain the camera in a stable position
- Gimbals are easy to learn to use
- Great Portability
- Gimbals still have limitations
- You need to learn to use a gimbal before achieving its full potential
- Gimbals are pricey
Using Software Image Stabilization
Still, digital image stabilization is something that many use. Also, some cameras come in with preinstalled video stabilization options (GoPro Hero 5 and GoPro hero 6). However, professional videographers are not fans of software stabilization. The reason is that when you use a software or a digital method to stabilize your video, you end up loosing on the quality. Therefore, if you are serious about video creation then you will definitely need to avoid using digital image stabilization.
Digital Software Image Stabilization Pros
- An inexpensive method of stabilizing video
- Great for beginners
- You can use almost any video editing software to do this (Adobe Premiere, Final Cuts etc.)
- Camera built-in stabilizers offer even better outcome than software without too much hit on the quality
Digital Software Image Stabilization Cons
- Using Digital stabilization is considered as an amateur thing by many
- When comparing optical and digital stabilization, optical always wins
- You end up losing quality when you are stabilizing using software
These are the main differences between each method. When comparing Optical VS Digital stabilization, optical stabilization always wins. The reasons are obvious. However, if you are a beginner that you just bought your camera and you do not plan on creating public professional content, then we are pretty sure that software stabilization should be more than enough for you!
Bellow, you can see a video by Ruen Dineros comparing No Stabilization VS Software Stabilization VS Gimbal Stabilization: